Avinguda Diagonal is the broadest and most important boulevard of Barcelona. It is about 10 km long and it cuts Barcelona in two, diagonally (that is the reason it is called “Avinguda Diagonal”). The boulevard starts on the west side of the city, in Corts and passes across the whole city. It ends in the eastern part of Barcelona, in the district named Sant Marti.
The avenue serves as an important transport artery of Barcelona and numerous tourists pass through it on their way to or from the city. Most of the metro lines and 6 tram lines have stations throughout the avenue, as well as the public buses that come from the airport (for additional information – Public Transportation in Barcelona).
What do you see on Avinguda Diagonal?
Avinguda Diagonal is very long and is both a transportation and a shopping center. Moreover, it is full of bars and restaurants (for additional information – Shopping in Barcelona and Bars and Restaurants in Barcelona). Besides these, along the boulevard you can admire several architecturally significant constructions (for additional information – Architecture in Barcelona), some examples:
- Torre Agbar is a Modern structure, it can be considered to be one of the icons of Barcelona, you can see it from every place in the city. The aim of its architect was to give the impression of a geiser.
- Palau Reial de Pedralbes is an old building that was redesigned by Gaudi in Modernista style at the beginning of the 20th century. In the past it served as the residence of the Royal Family.
- Museu del Disseny de Barcelona (Design Museum of Barcelona) (for additional information – Museums in Barcelona).
- Casa Serra is a Modernista building designed by Josep Puig i Cadafalch.
After you take a look at these attractive buildings and you arrive to the end of the street you will find yourself on the seashore with the famous public beaches of Barcelona.
Shopping on Avinguda Diagonal
Both sides of Avinguda Diagonal are full of shops. Therefore it is one of the most recommended shopping areas in Barcelona (for additional information – Shopping in Barcelona). Below you can find the most important shopping centers situated on the boulevard:
- At the beginning of the avenue you can see is a large financial and commercial center, called Centro Comercial L’Illa Diagonal, with a huge sport shop of the Decathlon chain.
- At the beginning of the boulevard, near the shopping center, you can find La Maquinista Mall, which is a less interesting and relatively old-fashioned mall.
- On the east side of the street is situated the Glories Shopping Center, which is one of the most important and largest malls of Barcelona (a half open and partly covered shopping center that once served as a factory). Right by this mall there is a flea market, called Els Encants. Not far from them, in the direction of the sea, you can find another commercial center, namely the Diagonal Mar.