You have chosen to go on a vacation in Spain and you are debating whether to rent a car? Do you need a car to tour only in the city? And how to find the best offer for you?
The purpose of this page is to help you decide whether and how to rent a car in Spain, how to find the best price for it and the important information before you start driving.
Do You Need a Car in Spain?
The answer to this question varies from one tourist to another, and the main question you have to ask yourself is what is the nature of your vacation
If you plan to explore only the streets of Barcelona or Madrid – you absolutely do not need to rent a car!
Just imagine the Gothic Quarter or La Rambla – The streets are small and crowded, there is no parking and the main roads are jammed. In addition, there is an excellent and efficient public transportation within the city (for additional information – Public Transportation in Barcelona and Public Transportation in Madrid).
However, for the ones traveling to southern Spain, or to the north – Basque region, the Pyrenees or Andorra, renting a car is smart and even necessary.
How to Get the Best Price?
Renting a car in the last minute, after arriving to the city, is definitely something you should avoid – many hotels are charging high commissions for this service, and for a touristic city as Barcelona – there are plenty of options to book a car online and to compare between the different offers of the different companies.
Car rental services in the Internet world have become very competitive and now allow cheap orders from home with local suppliers in comfort and simplicity. Customers can (and should) take advantage of that.
After reviewing several price comparison platforms over the course of a year, we chose to cooperate with Rentalcars.com, which will allow anyone to find the best offer. This site belongs to Jackson Travel, from the global tourism giant Priceline (which operates the largest hotel reservation sites in the world, such as Booking.com and Agoda.com).
In order to find the best price for a rented car in Barcelona it is recommended to follow the next four steps:
- What is more important to you? there are various parameters that greatly influence the cost of the vehicle. Think about what you can give up in order to get a cheaper car and what are the things you are not willing to compromise on.
- Manual gearbox? Manual gearbox greatly reduces the price, both of the vehicle and of the fuel. Excellent for traveling on the coast of the Costa Brava, but less recommended for those who prefer the mountainous Andorra.
- Air conditioning? Unlike other European destinations, it is not advisable to give up air conditioning in Spain, where the weather is mostly warm (for additional information – Weather in Spain).
- Number of doors? This parameter depends mainly on the number of passengers and your luggage.
- Location of the pick-up station – Sometimes a central pick-up location will be cheaper than pick-up at the airport. Returning the vehicle at a different drop-off point from the pick-up point will often cost an additional fee.
- Insurance? it is not recommended to skip on the insurance, not in Spain or at any other destination. One of the reasons we chose Rentalcars.com is the fact that they offer in many situations a theft insurance and a full damage cover includes in the final price!
- The type of the vehicle and the its magnificence.
- Understand the price range: Every tourist who searches for a vehicle has a question: What is the best bid for my needs? Car rental prices vary from season to season and by vehicle type. Enter your details in the search engine above and the Rentalcars.com system will search for you the best offers to rent a car from a variety of suppliers (Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Local suppliers etc.).
- Compare bids: Check the bids offered by the different companies. Compare the results and choose the one that works best for you.
- Now all you have left is to order! Place your order in the simplest way possible with a credit card, from home.