What Is Barcelona Museum Pass?
With over 55 museums in the city, Barcelona is renowned for its museum culture. Some of
the best museum experiences in Barcelona include Museu Picasso, Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya (National Art Museum of Catalonia), Fundació Joan Miró, and MACBA (Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art), all of which feature some of the world’s top artwork (for additional information – Museums in Barcelona).
Barcelona Museum Pass is a discount card that makes it easier and cheaper for you to visit the most popular art museums of Barcelona. In fact, it provides free admission to six museums (for additional information – List of Museums Included in Barcelona Museum Pass). If you are keen on art history, this card is dedicated to you. In order to decide easier if it is worth for you to purchase it or not, in the following paragraphs we present the offer of the card in details.
Advantages and Benefits
Barcelona Museum Pass offers entrance to six of Barcelona’s top art museums, all for the meagre price of 30 €. The card is valid for a whole year and covers both the temporary and the permanent expositions. Besides saving 45% on normal admission fees, if you own the pass, you can skip the long queues at the entrance. Moreover, any children under 16 years old (accompanied by an adult who purchased the pass) gains free admission (for additional information – Kids and Families in Barcelona).
The pass includes entry to Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya (National Art Museum of Catalonia), Fundació Joan Miró, Museu Picasso, MACBA (Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art), CCCB (Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona) and Fundació Antoni Tàpies.
List of Museums Included in Barcelona Musuem Pass
- Museu Picasso is the city’s most popular museum and features a plethora of artwork from the world-famous painter, Pablo Picasso. Most of the painting were created at the beginning of Picasso’s career.
- In Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya (National Art Museum of Catalonia) you can see mainly works of Catalan artists but also a unique collection of Romanesque church paintings. Additionally, you can admire several Modernista paintings from the well-known Antoni Gaudí. It is also possible to go to the roof of the museum where you can take a look at Barcelona from a bird’s eye view.
- Fundació Joan Miró showcases Miró’s life and the wonderful contemporary works that he created.
- MACBA (Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art) exhibits contemporary works created by artists from all parts of the world. Besides the fantastic exhibitions, the building of the museum is also quite unique and interesting.
- In CCCB (Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona) you can enjoy a great variety of movies, dance shows and many other activities related to contemporary arts.
- Fundació Antoni Tàpies is dedicated mainly to works of Antoni Tàpies. Nonetheless, other expositions related to contemporary art are organized there too.
The greatest advantage is that you can enjoy these benefits without worrying about time limits and without losing the control over planning your holiday. In this way, you can participate in a cheap but personalized vacation.
How do you get the ticket?
You can easily buy Barcelona Museum Pass online, then you just need to trade in your voucher for the pass at any of the six museums, or at one of the many ticket offices in the city. If the online purchase is not convenient for you, you can buy the card at many points in the city. Nevertheless, it is better to order it online since you get a discount (for additional information – Where to Purchase Barcelona Museum Pass – online or in the city).
Barcelona Museum Pass differs from Barcelona Card. The first one can be used just at the six above-mentioned art museums, while the second one covers a great variety of attractions, as a discount card and as a public transport card (for additional information – Barcelona Museum Pass vs Barcelona Card).
Another misunderstanding can occur due to the fact that in the past Barcelona Museum Pass was called Articket (this is also the name of the firm that is issuing it). If you hear the name “Articket” do not be confused because it is the same card as Barcelona Museum Pass (for additional information – Barcelona Museum Pass vs Articket).